So, a CGI Lucy. This is, I’m aware, not something anyone else particularly wants to see- anyone still interested in Lucy so far as I can tell wants to see me doing drawings- but it’s something I’ve always wanted to see and, now I have no comics business left, if I don’t do it now I never will.
I’ve posted a couple of test videos of a very primitive nature before. This is the first “beta” version where there’s something properly, if primitively, animated or choreographed or whatever. I’m working in Blender, which is a very steep learning curve, but I think that’s just because 3D animation is- to learn it from a standing start- a very hard thing to do. Or maybe I’m a bit dim, one or the other. The base figure started off as a Daz dolly, but I’ve edited it pretty heavily from that basis, not least adding in the essential morphs for the bouncy boobs, heh.
This isn’t exactly Pixar. Loads wrong with it- including one broken boob morph I thought I’d fixed, and some slightly weird animation on the left hand, but I can’t be bothered to render it again (takes hours, you know) so here it is, warts and all. I tried to get a video player plugin working in WordPress but I couldn’t fathom it out, and since boobies aren’t allowed on YouTube, I’m afraid you’ll have to download the AVI file and play it locally. Sorry. Click the picture to download all 45 seconds of Lucy acting a bit strangely… in HD!
So this is just experimentation at the moment, and I’m not sure what I intend to do or can do with this, and my limited skills and resources. The intention is not something photo-realistic anyway, but rather a bit cartoony like this in terms of visuals. I’d like to finish Total Reboot somehow, but that would be an emormous undertaking. The filler story I also abandoned is one possibility, as it had few characters (most of whom are identical Grey Aliens), only one set, and so on. That might be feasible. I’ll see how far I can get. This was the intended cover for that abandoned story by the way–
–which gives you a flavour of the story. It’s was more in the comedy vein, and had a lot of arbitrary sex in it, which would be quite good for animating since that’s not tied to any particular script. The working title was “Subject Verb Object”. So, maybe with about five years work or something I can do that. Or maybe not. Whether or not 45 seconds of not very good animation says I can, we shall see.
But I do think that my animated Lucy has, already, some of the “real” Lucy’s character to her. I found myself much enjoying doing the facial animations, but then I’ve always been fascinated by faces in art, and getting the expressions right. It’s amazing how, once I did that, the model came to life. The head itself is quite “on model” for how I’ve always seen Lucy, and doing this helped me nail down, funnily enough, really how big the legendary Lastique rack ought to be. Also, if you’re thinking the hair isn’t that good, it isn’t. It’s good enough for now, but currently the hair system doesn’t work properly in Blender- collisions don’t work at all and the spring model is crap. So I’m waiting for them to integrate the new hair system worked on in the “Gooseberry” branch and then I’ll do it properly, rather than wasting time getting it better now then doing it all again.
Anyway, let me know what you think.